Hello Geeky, so today we are focusing on How to Manage Folders on Mac. So please read this tutorial carefully so you may comprehend it in a better helpful way.
Guide: How to Manage Folders on Mac
Some of my favorite Mac tips and tricks are the simplest. You know, the ones that you end up using every day that you can’t believe, that you never knew about. Well, everyone knows how to rename files and folders in the Mac OSX Finder, right? Not necessarily. I’ve come across some long-time (and new) Mac users who were pleasantly surprised when they found out there were alternatives!
It’s no surprise that there are several different ways to rename files and folders in the Finder … so read on to see if you know them all! Imagine creating new folders in Mac OS X Lion the way you would like naming a new folder as you work on a specific project. New folders help you organize your files so you can reorganize them however you want. Creating folders in Mac OS X Lion is very easy.
How to Create a New Folder in Mac steps are mentioned below:
3 ways to make a new folder on a Mac
- Finder. In your Mac’s Finder utility, you can make a folder for your Mac. The folder appears wherever you currently are in your Finder file tree. Simply go to File > New folder in the Finder menu.
- Mouse or trackpad shortcut. From your desktop or in the Finder file system, simply right-click (mouse) or two-finger tap (trackpad) to bring up a menu; the first option is ‘new folder,’ which creates a new empty folder wherever in the system you are.
- File selection. Most often used for sub-folders, you can select multiple files and use the mouse or trackpad shortcuts above to create a new folder that has those files in it.
How to create folders via Terminal
- Launch Terminal on your Mac
- Type ‘cd desktop’ into Terminal.
- Press enter.
- Type ‘mkdir test-folder-1’.
How to rename a folder on a Mac
- Navigate to the folder you want to rename. If it’s not near the top of your Finder window, type the name into the search field in the window.
- Pro tip: if you know all or part of the exact name of your folder, your search will return fewer and more relevant results if you select Name Matches in the box that drops down after you type in your search terms.
- Click on the folder you want to rename. Then left-click once more, with your cursor over the name. Don’t double-click – that will open the folder.
- The full name of the folder is automatically highlighted. Start typing to completely write over the folder name. Or you can click to highlight a word or words you want to replace in the folder name.
- Alternatively, you can also right-click on the folder you want to rename, to pull up a drop-down menu. This can be useful if you’re having trouble clicking into the name field.
- In the drop-down menu, choose Rename and type in the new name.
- When you are done, simply hit enter.
How to rename multiple folders on a Mac
- As in the first example, find the folders you want to rename.
- Highlight all the folders you want to rename. To do this, click once to highlight the first folder, hold down the shift key, and click once on the last folder in the sequence. If you want to change the name of non-sequential folders, hold the command key while you click once on each folder you want to rename.
- Right click on your highlighted folders. The drop-down menu will include an option to Rename [number] items. In this example, we are renaming 5 items at once.
- A box will pop up to allow you to replace text. Type the text you want to replace in the “Find” field and the replacement text in the “Replace with” field. In this example, we replaced Test Folder with Renamed Folder, while leaving the serial numbers in the folder names.
- Click rename. All your folders now have new names.
- You can also add text to multiple folders at once. Click the Replace Text box above the Find field and choose Add Text. Click on the last column on the right to choose between adding text after or before the existing folder name.
- Click Rename when finish composing the new folder name. Be sure to add a space before or after the new text to avoid it from colliding with the existing folder name.
Guide about How to Manage Folders on Mac
In this guide, we told you about the How to Manage Folders on Mac; please read all steps above so that you understand How to Manage Folders on Mac in case if you need any assistance from us, then contact us.
How this tutorial or guide assisting you?
So in this guide, we discuss the How to Manage Folders on Mac, which undoubtedly benefits you.
I hope you like the guide How to Manage Folders on Mac. In case if you have any queries regards this article/tutorial you may ask us. Also, please share your love by sharing this article with your friends and family.