The nice thing about Apple Pay is that it’s classic “Apple”. It simply and elegantly combines the technology you already have (an iPhone or iPad with Touch ID or Face ID or an Apple Watch) with a one-step payment process that is more watertight and more secure than conventional chips and PINs.
What is Apple Pay?
Apple Pay is a contactless payment technology for Apple devices. It’s designed to take consumers from physical wallets to a world where your debit and credit cards are on your iPhone or Apple Watch. So you can pay with your device instead of a card.
back to menu ↑
How does Apple pay for the work?
Simply place the top of the iPhone screen near an NFC card terminal and put your finger on your phone’s Touch ID sensor. If you’re using an iPhone X, iPhone XS, or any other device with Face ID, just look at your phone.
But first, you need to set up Apple Pay, which is a fairly simple process. Here are the steps you need to follow to activate this simple payment method.
Supported Apple Pay devices
Apple Pay is supported on most devices – iPhone models from iPhone SE to the current iPhone 11 are supported and all Apple watches support Apple Pay. All current iPads, from the current generation to the fifth-generation iPad, iPad Pro, iPad Mini 3 and 4 and iPad Air 2, work with Apple Pay. If you can run Mac OS Sierra or later on your computer, you’re good to go.
Banks that support Apple Pay
Apple Pay is supported by most financial institutions and credit card companies in the United States. Apple has an up-to-date list of all financial institutions that accept Apple Pay.
Shops, websites, and applications that support Apple Pay
Apple Pay is supported by hundreds of brands and websites, including 7-Eleven, GameStop, Etsy, Staples, Fandango and others that are constantly being added. The current list of supported merchants can be found here or visit our comprehensive list of companies that accept Apple Pay. You can also use Apple Pay in many third-party applications. You can view some of these applications here. Of course, Apple Pay also lets you buy music, movies, apps, books, and more when you buy apps or other Apple digital items.
Is there a limit for Apple Pay?
No. In contrast to contactless card payments, where you can spend a maximum of 30 euros, there is no limit for Apple Pay.
That means you can pay for your weekly shopping or fill up your car with fuel, all with your iPhone or Apple Watch.
How to set up Apple Pay
You can add up to eight Apple Pay cards on your various supported devices. If you want to use Apple Pay with multiple devices, you will need to add your card information for each device separately.
How to add maps to the iPhone and iPad
- Open the Wallet application on your iPhone. On your iPad, go to Settings> Wallet and Apple Pay. Tap the plus sign and then tap Next to add your credit or debit card to Apple Pay. Add a credit or debit card.
- To add the card, position your card in the frame. The application automatically searches the front of your card for your number and stores it on the Card Details page. Tap on Next.
- Use the scroll wheel to save your card’s expiration date and enter the security code.
- Tap on Next.
- The Add Card screen appears when Apple Pay contacts your bank to verify your card. When this is done, you will get a page with the terms and conditions where you have to agree.
- The Add Card page and the Card Review page appear in sequence with your email address and phone number.
- You have the choice of checking your card over the phone or completing the check later.
- You may be asked to contact your bank to complete the verification process. When the verification is complete, click “Next” and you can start using Apple Pay.
- A series of instructions will appear to explain how to use Apple Pay with card readers. Press Next.
- You can still add your card to your Apple Watch by clicking Add Now. If you don’t want to add an Apple Watch, tap Done.
How to set up Apple Pay on an iPhone or iPad
You must use the Apple Wallet application to set up Apple Pay on your iPhone or iPad. Your credit and debit cards are then stored in the Apple wallet, with data being retrieved when you authenticate Apple Pay to pay for goods.
Open the Wallet application on your iPhone. On your iPad, go to Settings> Wallet and Apple Pay. Tap Add credit or debit card. You can use your device camera to capture your credit, debit, or card information. Then fill in the additional information as needed.
Your bank will check your details. You may need to provide additional confirmation. You may need to call your bank or receive a text message with a unique code that you must enter. The process varies depending on the bank.
Once your card has been verified, click “Next” and you can start using Apple Pay.
How to set up Apple Pay on Apple Watch
To set up Apple Pay on Apple Watch, you first need to open the Watch application on your iPhone. Make sure you are on the My Watch tab (bottom left). Scroll down to “Wallet” and “Apple Pay”. Touch “Add Map.”
As with the iPhone, your bank checks your data. You may need to do an additional review. You will receive a notification on your Apple Watch that your card is ready for Apple Pay.
How do I use Apple Pay on iPhone?
Apple Pay requires NFC (Near Field Communication) and Touch ID or Face ID on iPhone 6 and higher. This depends on which iPhone Apple Pay has to be started on. Every transaction must be authorized using either the Touch ID, the Face ID or your access code.
For iPhones with Touch ID, press and hold the Touch ID start button twice until “Hold Near Reader” appears on the screen. If your fingerprint is not recognized, you can select the “Pay with access code” option.
For iPhones with Face ID, press the standby button on the right side of the iPhone twice to start Apple Pay. The authorization is then made via the face ID, or you can select the option “Pay with PIN” if your face is not recognized. As soon as the authorization has been granted, “Close reader” is displayed again on your screen.
As soon as your iPhone shows “Hold Near Reader”, simply place your iPhone near a contactless terminal. A slight vibration confirms the payment. A receipt is stored in the wallet application so that you can see your recent transactions. There is no need to open an application or activate the iPhone screen to start Apple Pay, regardless of which iPhone model you have.
Using Apple Pay with Watch
Double-click the button below the Digital Crown to start Apple Pay on your Apple Watch. Your default payment card will appear on your Apple Watch screen with the words “Hold Near Reader to Pay”. You can then place your watch on the payment terminal and a pulse and a beep confirm that your payment has been made.
Moving from right to left on your Apple Watch screen will reveal all the other cards you’ve registered.
How to use Apple Pay in apps
More and more applications are accepting Apple Pay. You will know if you can use the service if you see the button while paying or if Apple Pay is one of the optional payment methods.
- To use your standard card, double-click the side button and hold the Apple Watch display within inches of the contactless reader.
- Wait until you feel a light knock.
Pay with a different card than your standard card
To exchange cards:
- iPhone X or later: Double-click the side button. When your default map appears, tap it, then tap to choose a different map. Look at your iPhone to authenticate with Face ID, and then hold the top of your device near the reader to pay.
- iPhone 8 or earlier: Hold your device near the reader without touching Touch ID. When your default card appears, touch it, then touch to choose a different card. Put your finger on Touch ID to pay.
- Apple Watch: Double-click the side button. When your default map appears, drag left or right to choose a different map. Hold your watch close to the reader to pay.
Pay on the web with Safari
With your iPhone, iPad and Mac, you can pay with Apple Pay in Safari.5.6 on the web
With your iPhone or iPad
- Press the Apple Pay button.
- Check your billing, shipping, and contact information to make sure they’re correct. If you want to pay with a different card, tap next to your card.
- Enter your billing, shipping and contact information if necessary. Apple Pay stores this information so you don’t have to enter it again.
- When you are finished, make your purchase and confirm payment.
– iPhone X or newer or iPad with Face ID: Double-click the side button and then use the Face ID or your access code.
– iPhone 8 or earlier or iPad without facial recognition: use the Touch ID or your access code.
– Apple Watch: Double-click the side button.
- After successful payment, “Done” and a check mark appear on the screen.
Make a payment on Mac
It’s almost the same as Apple Pay with a MacBook Pro, except for a few small details.
- Sign in to the same iCloud account as your iPhone, iPad, or Apple Watch.
- Turn on Bluetooth so your Mac can use any credit or debit card added to your iOS device or Apple Watch.
- Press the Buy with Apple Pay or Apple Pay button, then check your details or change the card as you would on a MacBook Pro.
- To pay, place your finger on the Touch ID sensor of your iPhone or double-click the side button on the Apple Watch. After successful payment you will receive a message and a check mark.
Apple Cash is not available on macOS.
With other Mac models
- You need an iPhone or an Apple Watch to confirm payments. Make sure you’re signed in with the same Apple ID on all of your devices.
- Make sure Bluetooth is enabled on your Mac.
- Tap the Apple Pay button.
- Check your billing, shipping, and contact information to make sure they’re correct. If you want to pay with a different card instead of your standard card, click next to your standard card and select the card you want to use. You can choose credit and debit cards or Apple Cash from any nearby iPhone or Apple Watch connected to the same iCloud account. 3
- Enter your billing, shipping and contact information if necessary. Apple Pay stores this information on your iPhone so you don’t have to enter it again.
– When you are finished, make your purchase and confirm the payment.
– iPhone X or later: Double-click the side button and then use the face ID or your access code.
– iPhone 8 or earlier: Use the Touch ID or your access code.
- Apple Watch: Double-click the side button.
- After successful payment, “Done” and a check mark appear on the screen.
Is Apple Pay secure?
Yes, Apple has indicated that your transaction information or card numbers are not stored on its servers, although your most recent purchases are stored in the wallet application.
Apple Pay, which has a token-based infrastructure, secures card payments by creating a number or token that replaces your card details. In particular, a device account number is created for each of your cards.
According to Apple, the device account number is assigned, encrypted and securely stored in the Secure Element, a dedicated chip in the iPhone and Apple Watch. When a payment is initiated, the token is transferred to the retailer or merchant. The retailer or merchant therefore never has direct access to your card details.
Does Walmart accept Apple Pay?
If you want to make payments from your iPhone in Walmart, you can only download and use the Walmart application. This is unlikely to change soon. Therefore, the use of Walmart Pay is explained below.
Pay with iMessage
With modern iPhones, you can also send payments directly through iMessage. Just tap the “A” icon to the left of the text box in your conversation and then tap the Apple Pay icon.
Then enter the amount you want to send and confirm the payment.
Apple Pay: What if you lose your iPhone or watch?
Losing your iPhone or watch is stressful enough, but Apple Pay is even more likely to do so.
Since every Apple Pay transaction has to be authorized by your fingerprint, your face or your access code, the person who finds your iPhone cannot pay for anything without your access code. You can see your billing address and the last four digits of your saved cards, but no further information.
Find My iPhone can be used by another iOS device to put your device in lost mode. This locks everything and prevents others from accessing your content, including Apple Pay or Wallet data. You can also use Find My iPhone to completely clean your iPhone.
How to check your transaction history in Apple Pay Wallet
You can check your recent transactions by opening the wallet application. At first you will only see the last transaction that was carried out with a card. To see more, tap the card and the “i” icon, then tap the Transactions tab.
Walmart does not accept Apple Pay. The only mobile payment system you can use in Walmart is Walmart Pay, which is linked to Walmart credit, debit, prepaid or gift cards.
I hope you love the article How to Use Apple Pay. If you have any questions, please contact us.
Image and article Apple